Current Board Members
- Heather Carter, Chair
- Amy Rice, Vice-Chair
- Jill Johnson, Treasurer
- Greg Farnsworth, Secretary
- Dave Miller, Member
- Heath Oveson, Member
- Dawn Little, Member
- Rob Lee, Director (non-voting)
The Board is responsible for the governance of the school, development of positive community relations, preservation of the Montessori educational philosophy, mission statement, and is accountable to teachers, parents, and students for maintaining the intent of the Charter.
Board Member Qualifications
- Be in agreement with the mission, educational philosophy, discipline policy and administrative structure of the Academy and read the Academy’s chartering documents.
- Be familiar with every aspect of the Academy’s curriculum and understand the scope of the reading program.
- Attend at least two Parent/Teacher Organization meetings a year to show support and encouragement for this vital aspect of the school. The Academy’s board members will not serve on the PTO board.
- Prior board experience is helpful but not necessary. However, a high level of professionalism and a strong desire for the success of the school is expected. The motivation for serving on the board should be to help guarantee the educational success of students.
- The directors will conduct an annual self-evaluation. The directors will discuss the necessary needs of improvement and set goals for the next year.
- All directors are required to attend a yearly board conference where the goals of the board are defined, the board’s self-evaluation is discussed and critiqued, outside speakers present information pertaining to effective board leadership, and other pertinent topics are discussed.
- The directors will annually attend a “Board Visit Day” at the school. During this time, directors will visit classrooms, talk with the staff and become familiar with current school concerns.
- Directors should fulfill their responsibilities on the board, board committees or subcommittees to their fullest capability.
- All directors are expected to be the best public relations representatives the school has.
- Each director elected to their positions should have some prior background and experience pertaining to that position.
The Board sets and enforces policy and ensures that the Academy operates in a manner consistent with the Mission Statement, the Academy’s charter, and applicable laws.
The Board is ultimately responsible for the preparation and approval of an annual budget, and ensures the Academy operates within that budget.
The Board approves and establishes a school calendar, including any changes made during the school year.
Record Keeping and Reporting
The Board is ultimately responsible for the maintenance of any records or documents required by law or provided for by the charter contract. Additionally, the Academy board is ultimately responsible for the timely filing of all reports required pursuant to local, state, and federal regulations.
The Board negotiates and approves contracts for the lease or purchase of the Academy’s facilities, including any changes or renewals of the facility lease/purchase agreements, and shall establish any policies for facility use.
The Board convenes at least one regular monthly meeting, and will provide an opportunity for public input. Additionally, the Board may convene work sessions as it deems appropriate.
The Board approves or disapproves all hiring and termination recommendations, and approve all staff employment contracts.
The Board performs such other duties as are appropriate and necessary to the safe and effective operations of the Academy, and which promote the Academy’s commitment to educational excellence.